Horizontal Lives

True Tales of the Infamous Courtesan: Persephone N. Hades and her Horizontal Life underground. How she got there, her mis-adventures and her struggle to re-surface.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

What Is Love?


Here’s what I believe: (You don’t have to agree with me, it’s just my Philosophy.)


I believe that each of us comes to this life with A Question or A Challenge that we struggle our entire lives to come to grips with, to solve the mystery of.


I believe that because of this Passionate Question that burns not only in our minds, but drives Us from the base of our Souls, we make choices in Life that propel us into the mire of the Sacred Question, driving us toward an answer.


The Question that I have done battle with for as long as I can remember is:

"What is Love?" "What forms does it take?" "How do I accept the many versions of the answer opening my mind to what is presented?"


I have come to believe, through the lessons of a business that I didn't initially choose and that needn’t have been about Love, (but to me is nothing but Love,) that Love comes in Two Major Forms:
"Love as a Verb." (Meaning something we can create ourselves out of nothing.)
And:
"Love as an Adjective." (Meaning something that sweeps over us leaving us flailing victims in It’s wake. The kind Shakespeare writes of.)


I am still in my business and therefore, I learn more of the Specifics within these category’s every day, with every person I see.


A friend sent me this email.
After I read it, I was almost embarrassed by the complicated, convoluted, intellectual answers I was assigning to the Question that has forever haunted me.

For here it is, out of the mouths of Babes:


Subject: What is love? What does Love mean?

A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds,

"What does love mean?"

The answers they got were broader and deeper than anyone could have imagined.

See what you think:

"When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend overand paint her toenails anymore. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love." Rebecca- age 8

When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth." Billy - age 4

"Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts onshaving cologne and they go out and smell each other." Karl - age 5

"Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most ofyour French fries without making them give you any of theirs." Chrissy -age 6

"Love is what makes you smile when you're tired." Terri - age 4

"Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and shetakes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK." Danny - age 7

"Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more. My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss" Emily - age 8

"Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stopopening presents and listen." Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)

"If you want to learn to love better, you should start witha friend who you hate." Nikka-age 6 (we need a few million more Nikka's on this planet)

"Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then hewears it everyday." Noelle - age 7

"Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well." Tommy - age 6

"During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared.I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving andsmiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore." Cindy - age 8

"My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyoneelse kissing me to sleep at night." Clare - age 6

"Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken." Elaine-age 5

"Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and stillsays he is handsomer than Robert Redford." Chris - age 7

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you lefthim alone all day." Mary Ann - age 4

"I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all herold clothes and has to go out and buy new ones." Lauren - age 4

"When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you." (What an imagination!) Karen - age 7

"Love is when Mommy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross." Mark - age 6

"You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it.But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget." Jessica - age 8

And the final one -- Author and lecturer Leo Buscaglia once talked about a contest he was asked to judge. The purpose of the contestwas to find the most caring child.The winner was a four-year old child whose next door neighborwas an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife. Upon seeing theman cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there. When his Mother askedwhat he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing, I justhelped him cry."

What more need be said?


4 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful... makes me cry... makes me realize how different you are from others... your capacity to love and be loved is boundless

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Skarlett said...

Thanks for passing on these warm thoughts :)

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Buddha said...

A friend of mine once said that having kids is like getting closer to heaven. Not always since we all know there is a price for everything but certainly a lot of the time.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Kim Swansula said...

Howdy Persephone N. Hades,
I'm impressed with what you wrote here in your What Is Love? post. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I was searching for sexy love kissing information, but found you and I'm happy to be here - you have done well with topics that interest me. I might make a blog that looks like yours but about sexy love kissing related stuff, (don't worry I wouldn't try to compete with you). You're doing a great job Persephone N. Hades.
You got a great thing going... by friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home